7 Benefits of Growing Indoors
Growing indoors is beneficial in many ways. We especially like to grow indoors in the middle of the summer and the middle of the winter. Growing a garden year round doesn’t always have to mean your food is growing outdoors. Not only will we touch on the benefits of growing indoors, but we will give you a list of our favorite foods to grow right inside our home.
The seven benefits of growing indoors are:
- More economical and efficient to grow year round
- Indoor grown food improves vitamins and are much tastier. When you have a more optimal growing pattern the nutrients are easier to digest. The plants usually grow more supple and soft since they don’t have the harsh outside conditions to contend with.
- The plants grow year round. We call it a “climate-free” environment. You will however, have to keep lighting and pollinating in mind when growing indoors.
- Crop rotation can be simplified because the plants don’t always require soil.
- Eliminates weeding and tilling time because indoor plants don’t require this.
- You can put a lot of plants in a small space. You find that you can grow in less space because there is less space required between plants. Not only this, but you can layer and stack your plants indoors.
- Growing systems can fit in oddly-shaped areas so you can grow in areas you might not be utilizing in your home otherwise.
The best edibles for indoor gardens are:
The littles: Gardeners Delight Cherry, Baxter’s Early Bush, Pink Ping Pong, Siberia, and cold-hardy
The bigs: Silver Fir tree
- Cucumbers (pollinate from longer stemmed to shorter stemmed flowers)
- Greens: lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula, etc.
- Malabar Spinach
- Tropical Spinaches
- Citrus: our favorites to grow indoors are eureka lemon, thornless limes, and cumquat varieties.
You may have to help pollinate some of the plants. We suggest using a q-tip and dancing around from flower to flower to help produce more fruit. To learn more and get some amazing free guides check out Agriscaping Green Thumb Thursday at https://agriscaping.kartra.com/page/greenthumbthursday